Kristen in Black & White
Added Aug 16, 2009
As you can see in the photo of the muslin he top was too big but the bottom fit quite well except for being a little too long, i had cut out a Burda size 36. I fixed the problems by cutting out a size 34 for the torso and keeping the skirt as a size 36. I also reduced the length of the torso by about 5cm which solved the bagginess at the back and also lifted the waistband to underneath the bust. I shortened the skirt pattern pieces to knee length before cutting and it turned out just right.
The dress is fully lined with a rayon lining, has an invisible zipper in the side seam and i left off the button at the front.
I’m really pleased with how it has turned out, i’m considering another with a more colourful fabric for the summer. I may also make a few more alterations, in particular the collar, although maybe it just needs a stiffer interfacing than what i used.
I wore the dress to the Tessuti Awards night in the Melbourne store and received many compliments which made my night! I even got to wear heels and lipstick! I felt very frown up, oh wait i AM grown up! Maybe i should do this more often!! It also works well with tights and boots for daytime.
In conclusion i’d like to say i’m very glad i made a muslin before cutting into the ‘good stuff’, i highly recommend you do the same with any pattern. I’m also glad i took the time to line the dress, it is so worth it!
I used a black cotton which has some elastane in it and a white eyelet fabric (thanks to the suggestion of two RMIT teachers who happened to be in the store the day i was choosing) as the contrast, both are from Tessuti (of course). The only downside is the black picks up fluff like a magnet, my husband doesn’t mind this because he gets to de-fluff my butt with the lint roller ;)