Added Apr 14, 2008
I found a goldmine of fabric in my mom’s basement, and there was a lot of this very stretchy, very heavy black-and-teal knit fabric. I decided to make an Anda dress out of it. Like my other casual dress I posted, I wasn’t able to print out the pattern (not because of the website, but a lack of paper in my house) so I just traced a shirt that looked similar to the Anda bodice and turned it into a dress shape. In general I had a lot of problems making this dress. Well, maybe not problems, but surprises! while sewing the knit fabric I put it on a stitch for stretch fabrics, but did not expect it to ruffle the neckline and the hem. the front neckline stretched out so much that I now just turn it over to form a sort of collar, and I really like the ruffly bottom. It also slipped right off my shoulders with the weight of the fabric so I had to make the neck hole much smaller than I’d orignally had it. so even though it didn’t turn out how I’d expected, I like the end result and it still only took me an afternoon to make!
heavy, stretch knit fabric
my mom (for her fabric)
burdastyle.com member Flowerhead (for teaching me how to make an elastic casing!)
Behind the seams with Marina von Koenig Part 2
Get all 11 of these retro inspired patterns for one low price!
Pattern of the Week
Hippie meets grunge in this plaid top with flared sleeves and a round neckline.
Leopard and snakeskin are the new neutrals.
Member Project of the Week
Peneloping's hand beaded frock is a real stunner.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.