Khaki City Shorts - BSM 2/2011 #122
Added May 31, 2011
by jen .ss1
New York, New Yo...
Shorts with front welt pockets & one welt pocket on the back. I wanted shorts that really fit well (for a change), so I made some very specific alterations – particularly to the inseam. I learned something about fitting, so maybe I’ll try to make pants next! Anyway, although Burda has a reputation for extra room in the back, I found that the was not really the case here. I would not say I have very much extra, so that is something to think about with this pattern. I had to both lengthen and deepen the inseam so that the front fit well also. Also made them somewhat longer. I’m quite happy with the result. However, as a warning I have to say that the instructions were dreadful – especially on the zipper and waistband construction. I ended up constructing these parts in my own way.
Update: I later added a fabric tab and button because the underlap on the zipper proved to be too narrow. (Resulting in excess wrinkling of the waistband). So, for making this pattern I recommend 1) make sure there is adequate underlap, 2) use 2 trouser hooks instead of 1 – placed vertically parallel. I think that would result in a more secure closing & I’ll do it on the next pair.
khaki tan colored 100% cotton poplin (fabric & binding), cotton broadcloth (facings), YKK metal trouser zipper (self shortened to 5-1/2"), 1 trouser hook. Plus, 1 clear plastic button.