Added Apr 23, 2010
London, United K...
This is a dress from Wenlan Chia’s book Twinkle sews. I made size 4, but added 1 inch on both sides for side bodice parts.
I have made some modifications:- I didn’t use elastic band for the front and gathered fabric in the front and back instead. - I didn’t have enough fabric and just generally didn’t want to have such a full skirt, so used the smallest skirt piece (number 13) to cut out skirt and lining skirt.
- I made bodice 3.5cm (1.5 inches) longer (pattern pieces 1, 2, 5, 6).
- As I didn’t use the elastic for front, I used back waist casing pattern for both front and back waist; I also made the waist casing 6 cm long (plus seams).
- I didn’t sew the main skirt and lining skirt together.
- I didn’t like the way sleeves were sticking out, so I made the sleeves shorter. I measured 12 cm along the shoulder seam and connected this point with existing point in side seam, and cut off the excess.
If you think about making this dress, keep some things in mind:
- the dress make you look a little bit bigger than you are (I usually wear very fitted clothing, so it looked different for me);
- you need a strapless bra to wear underneath;
- sewing the dress requires advances skills or just a lot of patience; not only neckline required precision, but sewing side bodice part to center bodice part is rather tricky.
1.4m lining fabric
As an early special Black Friday promotion you can now enroll in the course ($80 value) for $49.99!
Sewing & Techniques
Learn how to use your bodice sloper to draft this popular collar style
What Burda Academy Course is Right for Your Sewing Style?
Pattern of the Week
This is a quintessential ladylike coat with turned down shawl collar and fit and flare silhouette.
We're taking a sneak peak at the upcoming fashion design course.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.