Added May 26, 2013
I started these well over a year ago based on the Ruby pattern, but the instructions we abysmal. When I say abysmal, I wrote Burda and asked for clarification, which I never received. I decided to give them another whirl this year to clear up some space in my fabric drawers.
Low and behold, Burda has now published some USABLE instructions! Woo!
The shorts came out really cute, I did have to let out the crotch seam for a couple of reasons, (1) I have a large bum and I would have not been able to pull these on without that, and (2) even after I could get them on, I had some serious camel toe.
I also hate cuffs, and opted for a normal hem.
Overall, the shorts are adorable, and fit really well.
Although they fit well, the leg opening is quite large, even for my 26" thighs. As a result, when my legs rub together the shorts end up riding up to my crotch. Not a good look for anyone. When I realized I have no idea how to fix this, this project inspired me to get more education on tailoring. Stay tuned, maybe I’ll figure out a fix soon!
Update I fixed the fabric in my crotch issue! I took the waistband in so that the shorts are more “fitted” than the “relaxed” look. It brought the rise up about a half inch, and keeps the fabric from bunching up in my crotch. Yay!
Ikea cotton, wooden buttons.
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.