JJ Blouse ala Alicja
Added May 8, 2009
I picked up this shiny fabric with blue flowers to try out the JJ pattern (without the ruffles). I figured I might as well make something I can wear if I can pull off the pattern the first time. I never make a muslin out of fabric that won’t work – I don’t have time to make things twice! If it doesn’t work the first time, then it will have to wait a really long, long time before I get to it again.
The blouse worked out ok – I had to fit it a bit more (I am a little smaller than the mannequin, so it’s not quite as tight on me.
I learned a few things while doing this:
1) make sure to have sharp needles on shiny fabric —> the threads pull otherwise!
2) lining the slit in the sleeve is hard to do and you have to be patient and go slowly!
3) make sure the sleeves are set in forwards (I put mine in backwards, but I think no one will really notice!)
4) I tried to do faux flat felled seams and basting would have been a good idea to make them stay put while sewing!
5) Adding a clear snap between buttons helps with tighter shirts so there is no gap! (I picked this up from some store-bought shirts).
Shiny, satiny fabric (polyester)