Added Feb 6, 2013
My dear friend Ritsuko gave me this fabric in Japan that I intended to use for a waistcoat. Instead I wanted to make a dress and decided to use one of the first free BurdaStyle patterns and give it my own twist. I changed the neckline completely to make it a bit more glamorous and shortened the sleeves to make them more cute. I did not have enough fabric for the length, so I flipped over the lining to the front to create a huge hem. Also instead of facing I used a little bit of organza. Also due to fabric shortage. Since I had to buy one meter I used the rest to make a large matching shawl. The pictures of the result were taken on a trip to Marrakech by my friend Maartje.
The japanese letters fabric is 100% cotton. Organza = polyester and the lining is 100% viscose. I used the wrong side of the lining fabric since the right side was too shiny to match with the cotton.
NEW on BurdaStyle Videos!
This dress is the essence of casual elegance & can take you from the office to out on the town!
Tour a European city in these tailored classics in shades of camel and merlot.
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.