Added Feb 6, 2013
My dear friend Ritsuko gave me this fabric in Japan that I intended to use for a waistcoat. Instead I wanted to make a dress and decided to use one of the first free BurdaStyle patterns and give it my own twist. I changed the neckline completely to make it a bit more glamorous and shortened the sleeves to make them more cute. I did not have enough fabric for the length, so I flipped over the lining to the front to create a huge hem. Also instead of facing I used a little bit of organza. Also due to fabric shortage. Since I had to buy one meter I used the rest to make a large matching shawl. The pictures of the result were taken on a trip to Marrakech by my friend Maartje.
The japanese letters fabric is 100% cotton. Organza = polyester and the lining is 100% viscose. I used the wrong side of the lining fabric since the right side was too shiny to match with the cotton.
Member Project of the Week
Peneloping's hand beaded frock is a real stunner.
Make these brand new blouses and dresses in candy colored silk.
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this guide all about mini closure solutions!
Take a trip down the aisle in these gorgeous gowns, or change the fabrics for a spring party dress.
Fashion & Trends
See a few of our favorite looks, and the Burda patterns we're inspired to make!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.