Added Aug 29, 2008
El Cajon, Califo...
I re-made this dress from a store bought version. I didn’t like the heavy bridal satin, but I loved the lace on the outside. So, I purchased the dress, and took the entire thing apart. First, I used the bridal satin to alter the dress to my size, luckily it was easy because the dress was too big. Then, I used the bridal satin as a pattern for some raw ivory colored silk that I had purchased. I also used it to adjust the size of the lining from the original dress. I very carefully put the dress back together. Since the raw silk was very delicate, I used interfacing to help keep it’s shape. The delicate lace over the top was tricky to work with, it was only sewn into the dress at the empire waist line and at the darts, it had to be lined up just right so that it didn’t snag or get distorted. It took about 6 weeks to make the entire dress. Each edge of the lace had to be hand tacked along the split at the back where the train is and all along the bottom and top of the dress. It was a lot of work, but I loved making the dress.
An existing wedding dress, raw ivory silk, interfacing, invisible zipper, chiffon, lace, lining and lots of time.
Shannie for helping me install the zipper with “something blue” thread.
Pattern of the Week
The oversized shape has a cool bell shaped silhouette with a wide body and fitted sleeves
Stock up on our favorite BurdaStyle patterns sewn in white!
Learn How to Sew Knits Successfully With a Sewing Machine
Join Meg Healy in this 6 Week Course, we have just re-opened enrollment for a limited time!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Take a look at Meg's 2014 Mash Ups, and get the special pattern bundle that includes them all
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.