Added Jul 8, 2012
Cardiff, United ...
The answer… a LOT!
Here’s the main dress I made for Nicola’s birthday. When I make dresses for myself I tend to make them too big and take them in as I go, however I foolishly did the same thing for this dress, but without taking it in as I went. The result being that the dress was far too big for Nicola and needed taking in. Because of the waistband and armhole bindings, this meant that I had to unpick the whole thing. Then it was a teensy bit too small (luckily I hadn’t cut any fabric off yet), so back to my hated un-picker and took the side seams out again. Finally got the sizing right, but because I had taken in the sides on the bodice and graded out to the skirt, the pockets bulged out oddly (and I didn’t want to lose them as dresses are so much better with pockets!), so I had to do MORE un-picking (grr) and then cross my fingers when she tried it on for the final time.
Wahoo it fit! And if I do say so myself I think it looks lovely. Apart from the later alterations, I followed the pattern nearly exactly and made the two detachable bows (one to match the neckline and the blue one on her cardigan).
I used K2497 and would love to try it again with a more flowy or silky fabric next time.
Member Project of the Week
She modified this coat wonderfully by adding length and changing the pockets and collar
Congratulations to addiemiller22 for winning, and now being the face of our Cascade Designer Dress!
Flaunt your sewing skills as well as your fab fashion sense in these modern, head-turning designs
Watch Meg's promo of our upcoming course! It is the future of at-home pattern drafting...
Pattern of the Week
The oversized shape has a cool bell shaped silhouette with a wide body and fitted sleeves
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.