Horace the Monster Dress
Added Jan 31, 2011
I made this dress for my independent art class. The idea had been floating around in my head for a while, and I just finally got around to making it. It took for ever to make. The project was supposed to last about 3 weeks and it took about 5, working usually three hours a weekday plus four hours on weekends. I had to cut some corners near the end.
The eyes are made of sticky back foam that I just stuck onto the dress and the glitter I just did over fabic paint, but the eyelashes are from a plastic paintbrush I picked up at Axman Surplus that I cut and hot glued together. That took a lot of trimming to get just right.
The belt is detachable. It was this vintage belt I picked up at a rummage sale (my family’s church has the biggest annual rummage sale in MN, if not the nation). I cut teeth out of the same foam as the eyes and stuck them on, but they kept falling off whenever anyone brushed by them. I eventually just hot glued them on.
The nose is from a fuzzy sweatshirt we got my sister from Ragstock when she had the flu and was miserable. It’s very soft but quite ridiculous-looking so I didn’t think she would mind if I cut a pocket off and used it. She did. Oh well.
Let’s see… oh, all the fringe I hot-glued on because I was short on time and also not about to handsew all of that. I did sew on the ruffles. It’s supposed to be a little rough around the edges because he is a monster, after all.
Oh and I totally won an award for it. I entered it in the MCAD-sponsored Minnesota Scholastic Art Awards competition and got a silver key (the awards, from lowest to highest: honorable mention, silver key, gold key, gold key and American Visions nominee). The last photo is it on display at MCAD with me in my giant puffy jacket. It’s literally the first thing you see when you walk in!
Red poly crepeback satin, Fuzzy yellow poly, Poly fringe, Craft foam, Black fabric paint, Glitter, Plastic paintbrush bristles, Vintage belt, Zipper, Vintage cufflink (zipper pull)