Added Jul 6, 2010
This was the little top I had thought of just before I fell asleep a couple months ago. It’s really taken a long time to come to fruition. This is partially due to the fact that around this time of year there are no stores that sell corduroy! None. I even had a hard time finding it online. Finally, an etsy seller had just what I was looking for. She even included a little potpourri satchel with the material so it smelled all good and sweet when I opened it up. Don’t some etsy sellers pay the best attention to detail? It’s the little things, ya know?
At any rate, this little top was made with my new serger. So….a)it won’t fall apart in the wash. b)won’t fray all over the place. c) looks awesome!
Whenever I make my own pattern there are little things that I would perfect if I had to do it over again. When I first envisioned this top I had wanted the little ruffles to be closer together on the chest so that you could see the sides. But I didn’t take into account the very tiny frames my girls have. I had to do a lot of trimming and in the end the ruffles were spread out but I think it still looks okay.
I made the ruffles with the serger. It soooo fabulous! No need for elastic thread or a special foot all you have to do it set the differential feed to something like “2”. As easy as changing the tension and VOILA! Ruffles! I love it.
However, I did just buy a ruffle attachment for the serger with is supposed to only ruffle the top layer while keeping the bottom layer straight. This is very useful but I have my doubts. The last time I bought one of these it very lightly gathered the bottom layer. But I bought this attachment specifically for this serger so maybe things will be different this time.
Along the little ruffles I sewed some red and yellow piping for a more polished look.
Each of the camis have three pintucks in the front which flare out at the bottom for a fun, little-girl look.
One of my favorite things about these little camis are the fabric covered buttons on the front that match the ruffles on the sides.
Someday I’ll post a fabric button tutorial but for these tops I used a fabric button “kit” bought at JoAnns. I have to tell you, they are about a hundred times easier than making your own. I’ll never go back to homemade buttons again but it’s still a good thing to know if you only have one or two and don’t want to run down to the store.
The back is enclosed with metal snaps which I fastened with snap pliers. I have mixed feelings about the snap pliers. On one hand, if everything goes smoothly (which it never does) it can be an easy way to add an enclosure. However, most of the time, the little prongs don’t exactly line up with the snaps and then the buttons won’t work correctly and you must use needlenose pliers to remove them from the clothing without tearing the fabric. Does anyone else have this problem with snap pliers? And if so, what advice might you have?
As for Lily and Molly, they had more fun on the swings than the hopscotch. I left hoping someone in the neighborhood might get some good use out of it before the rain would come and wash it away.
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
No need to go outside… spend the morning in dolled up in this collection of vintage style pajamas.
BurdaStyle Magazine US
Get an inside look at the patterns from the first 4 issues of BurdaStyle US
As an early special Black Friday promotion you can now enroll in the course ($80 value) for $49.99!
Sewing & Techniques
Learn how to use your bodice sloper to draft this popular collar style
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.