Added Nov 14, 2011
My biggest sewing project so far has been making Bridesmaid dresses for my best friends wedding! I am only just getting confidence in wearing what I make in public so it was intimidating making 3 bridesmaid dresses and a flower girl dress! Due to the short engagment and delay in fabric delivery, I only had 1 month to sew all 4 dresses while working full time. Many late nights!
The idea was simple and classic dresses. The bride drew me a picture of what she wanted in the dress (see picture, girl on right) and I used two patterns from Burda to create it. I also retraced and changed patterns into what I wanted the back to look like. I made 3 muslins with different shaped backs until I was happy so I’m proud of the end scoop. It was also challenging as one pattern was ‘petite’ and the other pattern was intended for jersey fabric so I made many alterations to get them to marry up and fit us!
I also learnt to do invisible hems for all hems/sleeve finishings. They work perfectly and I can’t believe I didn’t try them earlier. Highly recommend! Such a professional finish and the hem doesn’t ruin the finish of the fabric like my previous methods.
The flower girl dress was an amended version of Burda 9799 A. Simple with buttons down the back.
I took some extra pics after the wedding before the flowers died in case the photographers pics didn’t feature the bridesmaids, but I probably didn’t need to now having them!
Add to Favorites 3 people added it
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
Member Model Challenge
Voting had begun! Vote for your favorite dress to be the next face of a BurdaStyle.com pattern.
Fashion & Trends
See 3 dresses in new prints perfect for this season's transitional weather, plus a chance to win!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.