Added Nov 11, 2009
I finally used my sewing machine for something other than hemming pants.
A Halloween costume was an excellent place for me to start because I wasn’t so concerned with the quality of the sewing as I was just diving in and trying to learn something. I created a simple pattern so that my cousin and I could cut out the fabric together over a glass of wine without much thought. I then took the pieces and sewed them into flower petal capes my cousin and I wore to dress up as flowers.
I used 2 layers of material for each petal. Both stiff fabrics. One was a raw silk and the other was taffeta….I think. We cut out heart shaped “petals” in various sizes from the pattern I made. I then sewed the corresponding layers together and used some elastic to gather the ends together for some extra volume. These were sewn to a grosgrain ribbon to create the cape. We wore these over dresses with green tights and brown shoes to finish the look.
Member Project of the Week
She modified this coat wonderfully by adding length and changing the pockets and collar
Congratulations to addiemiller22 for winning, and now being the face of our Cascade Designer Dress!
Flaunt your sewing skills as well as your fab fashion sense in these modern, head-turning designs
Watch Meg's promo of our upcoming course! It is the future of at-home pattern drafting...
Pattern of the Week
The oversized shape has a cool bell shaped silhouette with a wide body and fitted sleeves
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.