Added Aug 7, 2012
The pattern is Mission Maxi sewing by Jamie Christina. A quite simple one with only 2 pattern pieces for view A and B. I figured this would be the perfect dress to make in this weather. The fabric is grey jersey from my stash. I made view A, the tank top maxi.
I cut size 2 on bust, tapering to size 4 on waist and hip. It was a quick sewing as expected, but my first result was disastrous! Not the pattern’s fault of course. First of all, I cut the the hem too short, and then I attached the binding incorrectly that resulted in gaping neckline and armholes.
Luckily I still have enough fabric left for a second try. The straps of the first dress were a bit too long for me so I shortened them about 1.5 cm, a bit too much maybe. For the bindings, I cut 3 cm-wide strips of fabric, folded them lengthwise and attached them using overlocker, pulling them a bit while sewing. No more gaping neckline and armholes!
The hem is left raw as it wouldn’t ravel. This was not a design decision, but rather the limitation of fabric that I had. You can see that the present length is still a bit too short for a maxi dress.
Well, I don’t know why I didn’t make this pattern sooner at the beginning of summer! I tried it on yesterday after I finished sewing it and hasn’t taken it off until now. It is very comfortable. I should make another one before summer ends!
also blogged here
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
No need to go outside… spend the morning in dolled up in this collection of vintage style pajamas.
BurdaStyle Magazine US
Get an inside look at the patterns from the first 4 issues of BurdaStyle US
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.