Grey Mission Maxi
Added Aug 7, 2012
The pattern is Mission Maxi sewing by Jamie Christina. A quite simple one with only 2 pattern pieces for view A and B. I figured this would be the perfect dress to make in this weather. The fabric is grey jersey from my stash. I made view A, the tank top maxi.
I cut size 2 on bust, tapering to size 4 on waist and hip. It was a quick sewing as expected, but my first result was disastrous! Not the pattern’s fault of course. First of all, I cut the the hem too short, and then I attached the binding incorrectly that resulted in gaping neckline and armholes.
Luckily I still have enough fabric left for a second try. The straps of the first dress were a bit too long for me so I shortened them about 1.5 cm, a bit too much maybe. For the bindings, I cut 3 cm-wide strips of fabric, folded them lengthwise and attached them using overlocker, pulling them a bit while sewing. No more gaping neckline and armholes!
The hem is left raw as it wouldn’t ravel. This was not a design decision, but rather the limitation of fabric that I had. You can see that the present length is still a bit too short for a maxi dress.
Well, I don’t know why I didn’t make this pattern sooner at the beginning of summer! I tried it on yesterday after I finished sewing it and hasn’t taken it off until now. It is very comfortable. I should make another one before summer ends!
also blogged here