Added Aug 1, 2011
I altered a pattern I bought a year ago on a dollar sale, Simplicity 2757. When I bought it, it just looked like a dress. However, it merely laced up the front like a jacket, so I made some changes to make it into a regular dress.
I used some fuzzy paisley polyester fabric I bought for about $1.65/yd. The pattern did not call for a full lining, but the back of the skirt is longer than the front, so I made a full lining. I used some gray and black striped fabric I bought years ago for $1/yd.
I find it looks much better on me than the dressform (the dressform isn’t made of flesh). The only major problem I had was sewing the lining and the armhole. No tutorial or textbook managed to help me, so I made some bias tape to bing the lining and fabric. There were a few firsts with me in this dress:
First fully lined dress
First time inserting eyelets
First dress needing a substantial amount of hand sewing for accuracy
First time making bias tape.
Fabric, lining fabric, thread, eyelets, lace-up ribbon, trim, interfacing
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Check out Meg's latest mash up and see other BurdaStyle member's variations!
Sporty dresses, oversized cardigans, and easy tops in jersey and knits.
Pattern of the Week
This boho lace top is the perfect piece to start wearing this time of year.
NEW on BurdaStyle Videos!
Becky MacKinnon will guide you through each step of sewing the stylish BurdaStyle Crossover Pant
How to Grow Your Creative Business: Expand Your Portfolio and Reach a New Market
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.