Gold Floral Alison swimsuit
Added Jul 23, 2009
Kansas City, Mis...
I used a serger on this swimsuit, and it was my first time using a serger and this was definately a fun and educational project. The lycra is pretty slick!!! The instructions to Alison were kind of vague, so if you make this pattern, I would suggest gathering the bust piece a total of 4 inches (toward the lower half of fabric). Also, I would sew the pieces in this order.
- 1. Sew all straight pieces first. I went ahead and cut some leg binding pieces and after I got them on wished I had left the pattern as is!
- 2. Pin center ring half way between bust piece and then sew the bust to front swimsuit.
- 3. Sew front swimsuit to back swimsuit.
- 4. Pin back ties between front of suit and the longest binding strip. Measuring this so that the neck straps were even was a little tricky, so just beware.
- 5. I sewed the 2 crotch pieces together first. Then sew the crotch to front and back pieces.
- 6. Sew leg bindings on if you choose to make them. I cut a long piece and sewed it to the body then to itself and cut off the excess.
I also went to the thrift store and got a cheap swimsuit and harvested the hardware. I used it on the neckstrap since there didn’t seem to be enough fabric to actually tie it. There was an excess of fabric to tie the back strap, but I suppose you could use a clasp for that as well
All in all, I think it turned out pretty cute! Happy sewing!
Chlorine-resistant Lycra spandex I ordered off of Ebay.