Added Dec 27, 2012
Los Angeles, Cal...
This hand-made tie dye looks like a cotton candy nebula, which is exactly what I wanted. The only material purchased for this dress was the pattern ($5.40) and the zipper (~$3). Stash busted!
About the pattern (Burda #108B). The reason for the teal stripe is that I didn’t have enough of my tie dye, or so I thought, because it turned out that the pattern is huge! Following my measurements, I cut out a size 40/42, adding seam allowances. I had to remove about 8″ from the pleats and side seam (which was more towards the front of my body). I was able to do some shaping through the pleats, which are designed as unflattering straight lines on the pattern. Also, the back gaped horribly at the top. I lowered the sleeve cap and added some width to the back shoulder.
I extended the pleats about 1.5″, so that the fullness was released at my hips rather than natural waist. I lowered the neckline in front and back, replaced the facings with bias tape, tapered those dumb bell sleeves, and added the contrast band to the much shorter hem. Also, of course, pockets!
Twists on feminine classics, like a bold patterned shift dress and pants with a racing stripe.
Member Project of the Week
Short jackets like this zebra print bomber by Anniemollison are a must for spring.
The latest pattern bundle features nine vintage reissues from the 50s and 60s.
Pick one of 5 patterns for a new kind of sew along
Fashion & Trends
See steps on how Meg sewed herself a transitional Jersey suit using colorful jerseys!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.