Added Apr 17, 2011
Brooklyn, New Yo...
I designed this dress using pieces from a few patterns and dresses I already own. It was supposed to be all black, but after cutting out my pieces and basting them together, I tried to finish my edges with the serger. I caught a chunk of the bodice in the machine’s blade, which cut a large hole into the fabric right near the armpit.
So, I inserted a strip of fabric in the front and back of the bodice, using leftover shirting from a suit jacket I’m making for my husband. I really like the detail. It breaks up the black and the yoke also extends the sleeves, giving them a structured, futuristic vibe.
I’ve got more details on how I did this on my blog I’ve got more details on how I did this on my blog www.daughterfish.com