Fun Plaid Holiday Gown
Added Oct 1, 2008
Hazel Park, Mich...
This was another gown I made for a store display at the high-end fabric store where I used to work. We were dressing a holiday-themed window, and needed an eye-catching dress to be the centerpiece!
The lace is cut from a larger piece of fabric and hand-sewn to the bodice, and a few dark Swarovski crystals are sewn on top as accents. The petticoat is a separate piece made of fuchsia tulle edged with 1/8" wide satin ribbon.
The plaid was difficult to match at the seams (as you can see on one of the front princess seams) due to the irregular yarns that are characteristic of dupioni silk — it was a struggle to get it as well-matched as I did! There were only a few spots I gave up on. ;)
- Silk dupioni in a fun jewel-toned plaid
- French Chantilly lace in Christmas green
- Swarovski crystals in a dark iridescent tone
- Polyester taffeta in Christmas green (lining)
- Nylon tulle in fuchsia (petticoat)
- 1/8" wide satin ribbon in Christmas green (petticoat edging)
- Horsehair braid (hem)
- Ridgeline boning
- Invisible zipper