Added Jan 13, 2013
Last week I converted my ‘plastic fantastic’ blue dress into this new, fun and versatile skirt. It was very easy, I just:
- cut off the bodice from the waist up;
- took what had been the bodice and folded and trimmed until I had a long, straight, rectangular piece to fold over and press into a wide waistband;
- unpicked the zip, sewed up the side seam;
- spun the whole thing around so the front became the back, and brought it up, taking about two inches off the length at the waist (but kept the original hemline);
- then basted in lots of randomly spaced gathers;
- unpicked the back seam;
- stitched on the waistband;
- and put in the zip. A hook and eye at the top and i was done:)
Works well in this slightly stiff (quite noisy!) marine blue taffeta
How to Grade, Draft, Design, and Sew!
Go far afield in wrap dresses, detailed jackets, and comfy separates for fall.
Comment To Win
Share your top fabric care tips for a chance to be in the magazine, and to get the issue for free!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Check out Meg's finished Mash Up project of her denim suit and see how you can sew along!
Fashion & Trends
Dress like your favorite heroine from Disney's Frozen.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.