Added Jul 26, 2010
If you look in my studio, you will see that one of my first projects added here was this dress… or rather, the same fabric, the same skirt, but different bodice.
I recently gained a bit of weight due to illness, so the dress no longer fitted me around the waist. I could just have altered it, but I felt like trying something knew and keeping with my Grace Kelly MANIA, I did a bit of mix and match…
The bodice top was from a Burda Style magazine pattern which I’ve based two other dresses in my studio on (a bit boring I know!). I cut the midriff pattern out myself, ensured the lining fitted well and then decided to pleat the fabric. It wasn’t difficult at all and I’m almost pleased with the end result… I say almost pleased because the bodice front pleats come apart when I put it on which made me laugh so hard that both my cats always ever so faithfully by my side flew out of the door – hahaha. I was so proud of my achievement that I didn’t realise that I had to stitch the pleats into place so that they can stay put as the back ones. Anyway, another learning process.
Cotton, crepe mix lining, zip.
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Take a look at Meg's 2014 Mash Ups, and get the special pattern bundle that includes them all
Register today and get 20% off with a coupon code
Join Meg Healy in this 6 Week Course, we have just re-opened enrollment for a limited time!
Check out the top four finalists, and vote on your favorite dress
Check out these new 2015 patterns and cozy up to these wintery designs
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.