Flowery 50's dress
Added May 15, 2011
I initially started to make this dress for a wedding a few years back. I had some issues with the bodice and wasn’t able to finish it in time for the wedding. The year after another friend was getting married – so I finished the dress for that wedding instead! This was two and a half years ago, and somehow I didn’t take any photos of it at the wedding. So yesterday I put it on again and stepped outside to get some pictures.
The pattern is a reprint of an old vogue pattern (Vogue vintage model 2561). The pattern also includes a blouse – which I used for the jacket of my Mother of all projects . The making was quite straight forward, the instructions are good and the patterns pieces fit well together. Good thing, since there are a few places where the fit needs to be perfect. It calls for some handstitching, but it’s not super tricky to make.
I made the dress from a pair of curtains which I bought second hand. The previous owner has mended them in a really cute way (see picture) and you really can’t tell that the skirt is mended in this way in two places. I almost didn’t have enough fabric to make the whole dress in the same fabric. But I divided the upper part of the bodice into two, and in that way I managed to get all the pieces out. The bodice is lined with another fabric.
This dress really calls for a tulle petticoat, and the online search for a petticoat pattern is what brought me to Burdastyle. I used member elegant-impressions pattern The 50’s petticoat .
Oh, and that’s my cat Sixten posing in the picture.
Cotton/viscose curtains, zipper, snaps.