Ultguide_webbanner_218x126

Learn How SIMPLE
Digital Patterns Really Are!

Sign Up to Receive
The Ultimate Guide to Digital Sewing Patterns eBook + a FREE Skirt Pattern!

Floaty Flora Dress

Added Dec 11, 2014

by shibz

, Australia

Missing

Views

541

Img_20141124_174511_large
  • Img_20141124_174511_grid

Description

This dress was a true labour of love….or something with a few more swear words involved! My first time using lightweight, slippery fabric for a garment probably shouldn’t have been a fully lined dress with a full, almost circular skirt, but the potential of this fabric for the Flora pattern was too good to pass up.

Working with this fabric required a few little tricks to stay sane. I cut over an old sheet to keep it steady and sewed my seams over a piece of regular printer paper to avoid any rippling. Everything was very carefully pinned together (unusual for me). Unfortunately the see-through fabric called for a lining, so I constructed the bodice the usual way and sandwiched the lined bodice between the skirt shell and lining. The seam allowances of the shell were clipped at centre back, below the zip, to allow for separate hems. (See link below.)

Speaking of which, the hems did not want to play nice! The lining was finished easily enough with the rolled hemmer on my overlocker, but nothing was working for the shell. I ended up using a pink satin bias facing with a bit of Vliesofix in between to stabilise. Still a bit ripply but not half as bad as it was in the (many) previous iterations!

Adjustments made to a size US10/UK14 for shoulders and bust, and size US12/UK16 for waist and hips
- 2.5cm Y-FBA (had to adjust the other side of the wrap for the room added over bust)
- moved waist darts 4cm towards centre and down 1.5cm; and bust darts down 2cm and lengthened 4cm towards centre
- took 6mm tucks from back neckline to eliminate gaping, rotated to waist dart
- let out front waist darts 1cm each and added the extra width to the other side of the wrap (also had to adjust front skirt piece to match changes)
- added an inseam pocket and full lining
- added a bra strap carrier using overlocked thread and a small snap

Inspiration: http://chainstitcher.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/another-floral-flora-dress.html

Material Notes

148cm x 4m(ish) light pink and white floral poly, from Salvo’s; 3m ivory faille for lining, 5m satin pink bias binding, white invisible zip, all from Spotlight; knit tricot interfacing strips to stabilise, Vliesofix tape

Categories

For
Women
Garment Type
Dress

1 Comment Sign in to add a post

  • 20170310_191639_large

    Dec 12, 2014, 06.51 PMby Mary Athey

    This is a lovely dress and worth all your effort x

    1 Reply
    • Missing

      Dec 13, 2014, 12.21 AMby shibz

      Thank you! I think so too :)

    • This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Add to Favorites 1 person added it