Added Sep 27, 2010
I know it’s way to big for me, but it’s much easier for my buddy to take picture of me wearing the cap than me taking pictures of him. Hope you don’t mind me posing here.
My buddy loves his flat cap and wanted a few more, but that specific one wasn’t to be found, neither as actual cap nor as pattern. So we did some ‘reverse engineering’ with that cap to get a pattern. We deconstructed the cap and this is our prototype, so to speak.
Maybe you’re interested in a pattern and a tutorial, if there’s a demand, I can publish it in due time.
The screen is permanently stitched to outer shell so it stays in one form, no matter which way you wear it – straight or backwards. We padded the wool blend with Volume Fleece H 640 to make the wool a bit more rigid and to add a bit of insulation for cold weather. The cap is lined with a light grey cotton fabric which we also used for the sweat band. For the screen we used Decovil I, which isn’t as stiff as we liked, but probably the most stiffness we could use to be sewn with a normal sewing machine.
I’ve blogged a bit about it here
grey wool blend with herringbone pattern, grey cotton poplin, Volume Fleece H 640, Decovil I, sewing thread
Find out more about our three fabulous courses starting this week!
Choose from one of 5 popular dresses.
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.