Added Sep 12, 2009
Brooklyn, New Yo...
My flannel jennifer came together remarkable fast, despite being very confused by the neckline instructions. Luckily, I got by with a little help from my Burdastyle friends! Thanks everyone!
The fabric is a cotton plaid that has a flannel (fuzzy) side which I put to the inside. I got this fabric pretty cheap at one of the small shops in the garment district. I got the last of the roll and it wasn’t enough to make the pin tucked cuff so my cuffs are plain.
I figured out a helpful trick to make the folding, pressing and sewing of the pin-tucks a bit faster – I clipped tiny marks on the sides of the panel at regular intervals where the fold of the tucks belonged. That way I didn’t have to mark up the fabric or measure more than once.
Minor modifications: I added more button holes to the back placket. I don’t think the ones on the pattern are placed in a practical position so I needed an extra at the top to hold it closed, and then an extra at the bottom to balance the look. I only have a few buttons left so I haven’t decided how to place them on the front faux placket. Also, I used hem tape at the bottom hem because with the flannel and the tucks I didn’t want to have a bulky hem with more than one fold.
I wore this shirt to work yesterday for the first time. It was a cold and rainy day and this cheerful and warm flannel was the perfect thing.
Cotton flannel, yellow buttons (MJ Trim)