First Go Bathers
Added Jan 30, 2012
This was my first go at making bathers and I’m so glad I gave it a go. Last year’s bathers cost me $150 from the shops, this year it cost me only $10 for the material…oooooh I saved $140, what can I spend that on??!! :)
I used the free pattern from BurdaStyle and only had to make a few adjustments…
-I put elastic through neckline/back band which feels alot more secure and I put elastic under the bust line which doesn’t give me anymore support but stops the top riding up.
-I decided to put the breast pads in because it meant I could lay the the lycra smoothly over them and only gather the top half which looks good with the material I chose.
-I didn’t need the second back tie. I’m glad about that, I like the full back showing.
-The ‘boy look’ leg cut didn’t sit low enough for me, so I cut the leg line a touch higher for a normal bather cut and put elastic along the edge with the overlocker, turned it over and finished it off with a zig zag stich.
I didn’t really follow the instructions, I found them a bit confusing, and because I used my overlocker I just zipped up all the seams on that in the normal order and it came together itself. I bought a meter of material and had so much of it that I used it as lining too. So the front and back is fully lined which feels nice and supportive on.