Added Jan 13, 2009
Astoria, New Yor...
Here’s my entry for the suit variation challenge! I used the Eva jacket pattern and the Linda skirt pattern to make a 1950s dressy suit, inspired by vintage sewing patterns I’ve seen.
For the jacket, I made the following changes:
1) converted the notch collar to a shawl collar
2) made a flare at the bottom for a peplum look
3) made a cutaway shape at the front bottom
4) used hooks and eyes instead of buttons
5) shortened the sleeves to 3/4 length
For the skirt:
1) shortened by about three inches
2) doubled the height of the waistband
3) added a layer of tulle for fullness
3 yds Deep purple crepe-back satin
1 yard tulle to line the skirt
1 yard silk organza to underline the jacket
BurdaStyle for the excellent patterns
Check out Kate Middleton's stand-out spring dress
Pattern of the Week
You’ll want to wear this dress to tiki parties, spring weddings, and afternoon dates...
Sewing & Techniques
Check out Meg's Sweetheart Dress project and how she made it!
Hit the road in easy dresses, slouchy tees, and bootcut pants.
Be the face of one of our exclusive patterns on BurdaStyle.com!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.