Added Jan 13, 2009
Astoria, New Yor...
Here’s my entry for the suit variation challenge! I used the Eva jacket pattern and the Linda skirt pattern to make a 1950s dressy suit, inspired by vintage sewing patterns I’ve seen.
For the jacket, I made the following changes:
1) converted the notch collar to a shawl collar
2) made a flare at the bottom for a peplum look
3) made a cutaway shape at the front bottom
4) used hooks and eyes instead of buttons
5) shortened the sleeves to 3/4 length
For the skirt:
1) shortened by about three inches
2) doubled the height of the waistband
3) added a layer of tulle for fullness
3 yds Deep purple crepe-back satin
1 yard tulle to line the skirt
1 yard silk organza to underline the jacket
BurdaStyle for the excellent patterns
Sewing & Techniques
Our popular swimsuit sloper is now available in PLUS size!
Member Project of the Week
Carlotta-Stermaria's ruffled dress is ready for wedding season.
Check out this sneak peel of this Thursday's live web seminar
Chat sewing inspiration with the instructor behind our mood board and fashion design course!
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.