Added Sep 16, 2012
I don’t use border prints all that often, given the need to be much more deliberate and particular with pattern choices. But this batik-like fabric was just so lovely – even if I’m not sure exactly what sort of birds they’re meant to be (Peacocks? Lyrebirds? Birds-of-Paradise?). Anyway, in looking through my stash of patterns, I found this one: Advance pattern 4272, circa 1946, which has a rectangular skirt. I adjusted it at the front slightly to make it straight across rather than shaped so I could take advantage of the selvedge and the print. I also made the skirt flat at the front and pleated from the darts around to the back, instead of the recommended gathering, again to try and make the print stand out more clearly. It did take a ridiculous amount of time to get that pleating even – an entire hour, in fact – but that’s what internet TV is for.
Given that the front bodice and skirt already had perfect selvedges, there was no need for hemming, making this a quick dress to make – one hour for pinning pleats notwithstanding. And because it was so quick to make, it was done in time to wear to a vintage fair today! Great to have something new to wear for an event.
Photos (taken by Ezzles) accentuated by the early spring late afternoon sun. And a fortunate find for the photoshoot location – as well as this stream and bridge, there are a number of other little bridges along the stream, plus two lakes. It’s sure to be the location of more photoshoots in the future.
2m Poly/cotton blend
1 45cm zipper