Added Nov 5, 2012
San Diego, Calif...
This is the first year that we both wanted to be something just as much as the other, yay! For his costume I did some tailoring off a vintage corduroy suit. I also made a couple tails for us, which aren’t pictured. My dress came from a XL vintage long-sleeved dress which I was able to restyle into the shape I wanted. All to avoid hems and closures. I was on a time crunch! I was able to make the mock-turtle neck, belt, pockets and cuffs with the leftover fabric. I then made a stencil for the apples and drew the stems by hand. The masks are probably my favorite part of this costume. I used the long-pile white for his mask and a shorter length for my mask. The rust colored fabric was the same. I drew the eyes on white fabric and made eye holes on the upper-corner for our real eyes. The black was done with wool roving. The base of the masks are plastic. I used broomstick hairs for our whiskers. Of course we had a plan beforehand, but I only had one day to work with the materials. I was happily surprised with the results!
crepe, corduroy, cotton, wool roving, faux fur, glue, markers
Member Project of the Week
Check out Jessica Abbot's version of our High Waist Trousers in summer-ready lightweight denim.
DIY to Try
Make a new pair of chic shorts for summer!
This collection is filled with beautiful gowns that are so elegant!
In addition to getting the pattern, learn step-by-step how to construct it beautifully
Pattern of the Week
This cute sheath dress has a sweetheart neckline and a bustier style top!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.