Added Nov 5, 2012
San Diego, Calif...
This is the first year that we both wanted to be something just as much as the other, yay! For his costume I did some tailoring off a vintage corduroy suit. I also made a couple tails for us, which aren’t pictured. My dress came from a XL vintage long-sleeved dress which I was able to restyle into the shape I wanted. All to avoid hems and closures. I was on a time crunch! I was able to make the mock-turtle neck, belt, pockets and cuffs with the leftover fabric. I then made a stencil for the apples and drew the stems by hand. The masks are probably my favorite part of this costume. I used the long-pile white for his mask and a shorter length for my mask. The rust colored fabric was the same. I drew the eyes on white fabric and made eye holes on the upper-corner for our real eyes. The black was done with wool roving. The base of the masks are plastic. I used broomstick hairs for our whiskers. Of course we had a plan beforehand, but I only had one day to work with the materials. I was happily surprised with the results!
crepe, corduroy, cotton, wool roving, faux fur, glue, markers
Fashion & Trends
All the fall trouser sewing inspiration you need.
Pattern of the Week
This jacket is a mix of mod and military and will change the look of any outfit!
Go far afield in this collection of bib dresses, waistcoats, and wool jackets in textured fall fabri
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this jean alteration technique and find out how you can learn more!
Member Project of the Week
A gorgeous confection with a surprise peach chiffon layer.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.