Fabric Weaved Bodice Dress
Added Mar 11, 2012
This dress took a while to complete! I weaved the bodice part with fabric strips by hand.
Although each of the strips I used for weaving were not cut on bias, the entire bodice was cut on bias. The weaving the fabric itself was very time-consuming, but the other portions of the piece came off without a hitch. Since the bodice was on bias and the weaving created some stretch, I eliminated the gather in the bodice pattern, and treated the fabric as I do with jersey fabrics. I used the bodice pattern I drafted recently for another project. I added a gather at the waistline to replace darts(for the previous project). For this dress, I even went so far as to take out the entire gather ease.
I had this blue fabric sitting in my stash for a while. I bought it on wholesale, but since the fabric is such a light weight, I wasn’t sure what to do with it. The weaving was a perfect fit for the fabric. It didn’t become too bulky but added some structure to the fabric, making it easier the rest of the sewing.
I lined the dress with the same fabric, as it is a bit sheer. Also added side pockets, and a matching fabric belt. The buckle is from this online shop I wrote about in the past.
Overall, I LOVE the result, and it was very satisfying to make. If you were to ask whether I’ll do it again, I don’t know…it really was time consuming, so I’m not sure.
Fabric: light weight cotton
Lining: same as the fashion fabric
Pattern: self drafted bodice pattern, skirt is two big squares. Pocket patterns are borrowed and modified from BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook coat pattern.
cotton, belt buckle, thread, flat knit zipper, interface