Added Oct 10, 2010
I made this lil’ number on my dressmakers manneqin. I couldn’t use a pattern because I only had a weeny amount of fabric and didn’t think I could find one that would work.
I just gathered the fabric into rough, vaguely matching pleats and attached it to a wide waist-band. Not being one to really think things through though, the back is a bit of a mess – zip, hook and eye are all a bit of a mash, but the main thing is how it looks from the front!
The hem was tricky because I didn’t have anything to turn under – I wanted to keep the length and finish it without breaking up the stripes. Problem solved with a narrow band of brown binding to match the fabric.
I have to admit it’s taken me about a year to finish this skirt so it’s with massive sigh of relief that I finally finished this project!
Fabric is a printed cotton/stretch blend
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
Member Model Challenge
Voting had begun! Vote for your favorite dress to be the next face of a BurdaStyle.com pattern.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.