Added Feb 20, 2009
I’ve wanted a new handbag for ages – I’m a huge water fanatic, and I really wanted a bag that was just the right size to fit my waterbottle, purse, mobile, keys and sunscreen! The Estelle seemed just the right size :) I made this Estelle using the leftovers from shorts I made from the Ruby pattern (I’ll upload them soon!). It only took me an hour or so to make – very simple! I used a heavy cotton drill for the exterior, and quilter’s muslin I dyed using a concoction of tea and moccona coffee (yum!) I altered the straps slightly to make it appear as though they’re detachable (they’re not, of course). I thought this would suit the bag better when I was just using one solid colour. My machine decided that it was too tired to sew the heavy fabric in french seams like the creator intended, so the inside of the bag is a bit ratty. Next time I’ll use a sturdy fabric that’s a bit lighter so my machine can cope with the bulk of the French seams! I’m looking out for a magnetic clasp, so my things don’t fall out!
heavy green cotton drill; coffee-and-tea-dyed muslin; 4 buttons; matching thread; hopefully a magnetic clasp!
Much appreciation is extended to fashion1 for taking the time to upload this fabulous handbag!
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
No need to go outside… spend the morning in dolled up in this collection of vintage style pajamas.
BurdaStyle Magazine US
Get an inside look at the patterns from the first 4 issues of BurdaStyle US
As an early special Black Friday promotion you can now enroll in the course ($80 value) for $49.99!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.