Added Apr 21, 2010
This is probably the most popular purse pattern on BurdaStyle thanks to “Fashion1”. I love the mid-size purse and the pleats & band add nice design elements. It was a fun purse to sew, but as a former sewing teacher, I feel the instructions need a bit more clarification. This is my pictorial guide to constructing the wonderful Estelle handbag.
My changes from the original include:
1. Reshaping the straight band into a chevron shape
2. Using nylon web strapping for longer handles
3. Adding decorative fringe and button embellishment to the front only
4. Lining the two interior pockets
5. Adding an interior key clip
6. Triangular shaped pull-tabs to open the velcro closure
You will need to download the original pattern pieces from the Estelle site, and prepare them before using this variation I have submitted.
I used three decorator fabrics, a leopard print for exterior, a beige jacquard for band, a geometric texture for lining interior. All from my stash of fabrics.
Fashion & Trends
Style this favorite tank for late summer and fall.
See all entries and vote.
See more prize details and how to enter...
Cool greys transition from summer to fall in a shirt dress, flowing maxi skirt, and new jackets.
8 patterns, a web seminar, and technique videos for sewing menswear.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.