Enlarged Girl's Sailor Dress for baptism 07/2012 #146
Added Apr 9, 2013
Last August we celebrated our little son’s baptism. We decided to make the invitations with a nautical theme, so our kids should have sailor dresses. My mother had the current Burda magazine at home, and I found the patterns for both the boy and the girl.
As our daughter was already a quite “long” 3 year old, the available sizes in the magazine were too small. So I enlarged the pattern pieces to fit her. I bought the exact fabric that was recommended by Burda, but looking back I should have chosen a different one. Nonetheless the dress for my daughter turned out quite well.
I made fabric covered buttons with the same navy popeline as my son’s sailor trousers. The sewn-on ribbons are grosgrain-ribbons in navy with white stitches. To complete the girls’ outfit I made the sailor hat as well, but the sewing instructions for it were (at least to me) a little bit confusing, so I changed the construction of the hat-band in order to make the hat fit even in the following year. I also added a sash (made of the same navy popline).
I grew up with Burda patterns, I made my first sewing attempts with them, so I am usually pleased by the design and the instructions.
However, as children grow fast I tend to make most clothes a little bit bigger. Especially this dress should be big even the year after.
It was a very hot August day, we had splendid weather, and I was pleased with my little sailor girl in her white dress, looking as fresh as a sea breeze.
Fabric: suggested white cotton fabric (original recommendation from Burda)
Notions: navy grosgrain ribbon in 2 widths with white stitches, self-made fabric-covered buttons (Prym)
Sewn on my Bernina Virtuosa 150 (2000 special edition) and an older Bernette serger.