Embroidered Garden Party Dress
Added Jun 15, 2012
This is a garment that I made for display in the fabric store where I work. The deal is that you can make a garment from the stores products for free, so long as it hangs up in the store for a month. It’s pretty swell! These embroidered cottons were too expensive for me to possibly buy on my own, so thank the fabric gods for this fantastic opportunity.
I used Simplicity 1873 but added in an underskirt with the embroidered border print in white. I actually cut off the border and sewed it like a ruffle on to a bemberg lining panel, gathered and attached at the waist. i did this to avoid a raised hemline due to cotton on cotton friction, as well as bulk around the waist. Any chance i get, I will use a rayon bemberg lining. It has a barely-there weight and just feels so beautiful against your skin.
The pattern made up beautifully, and the finishing around the armholes and neckline is fantastic, provided you have a fabric that will press nicely. I would use this pattern again, for sure. It provides you with the full skirt of a gathered waist without looking as hippy. As always, I had to adjust the bodice significantly to support my upper body endowments, since just using a larger size equates to poor fit in the back and shoulder. However, I’m used to it and have a series of steps that I follow with almost any pattern.
Highly recommend it, and next time I’m going to look in to a taffeta or brocade like the image on the pattern. It’s really fantastic.
Location shots by my good friend Heather Appleby.
Embroidered cotton voile, rayon bemberg lining, invisible zipper, all purpose gutermann thread. No interfacing!