Added Oct 17, 2012
I made this coat last year. I actually wanted a trench coat, but it kind of morphed into a dress-like coat. The fabric is a linen/cotton mixture I had lying around after not using it to make slip-covers for our couch in our previous apartment. We spent a lot of money on it, but I never got around to making more than one chair-cover, so I decided to use the fabric for this project instead. :-)
It’s based loosely on a Burda jacket pattern, but I can’t remember which, and to be honest, it’s so altered I’m not sure anyone would recognise it. I drafted new sleeves, a new skirt and did an FBA. I also tried to dye the fabric into a deeper red, like wine, but the dye didn’t take at all. :-( So instead I embroidered the back, the cuffs and the lapel.
Fashion fabric: Linen/Cotton