Embroidered black velvet
Added Jan 15, 2012
When I saw this fabric in Barry’s Fabrics, Birmingham, I knew that despite the price it was going to insist I took it home. I resisted for a few weeks but it kept calling so as I had a clear image in my head of exactly what I would make with it I gave in and bought a couple of metres.
I used March 2007 Burda magazine, dress 124 but had to alter the skirt part slightly as the pattern has too many seams down the length of the skirt (for matching up with the princess seams on the top) and I knew that it would ruin the flow of the embroidery if I kept them so I cut the skirt out in 2 panels (1 front, 1 back) with seams just at the sides (which worked fine as it has a concealed side opening zipper). I guess I could have done it in one long piece with just a seam on the zipper side come to think of it, oh well, never mind. To make sure there was enough spread in the skirt, I just added 4 large inverted pleats (2 front, 2 back) where the skirt attached to the top and matched them up with the princess seams.
I picked one of the colours from the embroidery and made the lining in that colour, you can just see it peeking out at some of the edges. I went for Royal blue as I love that color next to black.
Job done, and I get lots of compliments when I wear it so it was worth the money.
I think maybe I’ll stick to that formula – buy stunning fabrics, and use simplest of patterns so the fabric does the talking and I save on the effort and frustration of advanced projects.