Early 1940s Playsuit
Added Jul 15, 2011
San Diego Area, ...
My playsuit is actually a crop top and skirt that I “finished” about two years ago. One try-on revealed that the crop top was way too short, and whenever I would lift my arms my brassiere would be revealed. In actuality I didn’t read the instructions and hemmed it one inch where 1/4″ was actually allowed as it was supposed to have a bias binding. However, even after I took it out and fixed it it was still much too short, so this morning the eyelet ruffled trim was added to the bottom and luckily I had enough to go around the bottom of the skirt as well. I added yellow rick rack for contrast and to tie it all in together. I had actually clipped in my corners of the front, so in order to selvage that and still get the extra length I’ve got a bit of a scallop at center front.
I was rather iffy about the whole thing, but now after trying it on and wearing it for the afternoon I can say I love it and I’m so glad it was selvaged! The fabric is vintage rayon and the trims, with the exception of some of the rick rack, are new. The pattern I used was Simplicity 4321 (the picture of the outfit before I fixed it to be able to wear it is still up on Vintage Pattern Wiki). This is the second version of this pattern I have made- I previously made the dress. I do like this pattern quite a bit, however, both versions of this pattern have armscyes that are not very practical- lifting the arms causes the whole garment to raise up which can be a bit of a problem with the crop top (thus the ruffled eyelet trim was added). I did make changes because of my eyelet trim on my sleeves and neckline but I don’t remember now what they were. Despite these issues I do still like the pattern and will more than likely make another version of it in the future. Maybe the shorts are next! Too bad I don’t have any more of this fun rayon print!
You can see more about this project on my blog
Vintage rayon print yardage found at a vintage clothing sale.
- Vintage pattern, Simplicity 4321