Duct-tape Sibylle Dress
Added Oct 22, 2010
I wanted to make a simple short prom dress out of duct-tape. I chose the Sibylle dress style pattern as a guide for my outfit. I took a couple months of working on and off with the help of my amazing art teacher to complete. I have never done anything like this before, besides sowing up a few holes in my jeans now and then. Over all cost was about $40 to create. If I had not kept messing up so many times (hey, you got to learn somehow) it could had been $20 overall. Correcting mistakes with duck-tape simply involves cutting out the bad and adding new tape. Duck-tape is harder to work, but it is more forgiving than regular fabric is.
I cut out the pattern using REALLY GOOD SCISSORS (which after words might be unusable)as one would normally on MUSLIN.
Then using a couple roles of BLACK AND WHITE DUCT-TAPE I simply covered the muslin pieces in duck-tape. This was the biggest problem. With duct-taping outfits there is an inside and an outside of each piece. The inside is muslin, while the outside is the tape(that way there is no skin to duct-tape action going on while wearing the dress). I was constantly taping the wrong sides and having to redo them.
Before attaching the top and the belt, I used a GOLD PAINT PEN to create a decretive design.
SNAP BUTTONS were used instead of a zipper.
TULLE was used as directed. It added nice shape to an otherwise ‘flat’ outfit.
LOTION for chapped fingers- D.T. can be brutal.