Added Jun 6, 2014
This started out as a modified Burda pattern but I subsequently redrew the entire pattern. It’s my first attempt at an original design. I did not use darts as the fabric has 5% lycra in it. I now have to figure out how to grade the pattern as I did it in in size12. If anyone can suggest a book or tutorial on pattern grading, I would appreciate it.
After, I have made and tested a number of these, I will (time willing!) post the patterns as Open Source patterns.
My sewing instructor, Ann Hall, at Simon Hall Design Studio helped me with this. She really gets much of the credit, I could not have done it on my own.
I used 95% cotton / 5% Lycra. The entire dress is serged together. The neckline was attached using a cover stitch machine and a binding attachment. This, IMHO, is really the way to go. It takes me 90 mnutes to put in a facing and only 10 minutes to do the neckline with the cover stitch machine.
Exotic prints and silhouettes combine for this alluring collection
Fashion & Trends
While Sewing Their Own Halloween Costume (in GIFs!)
Member Project of the Week
Rwest1014's created this gorgeous skirt to wear Halloween after Halloween.
Comment To Win
Get your copy of BurdaStyle Modern Sewing: Wardrobe Essentials today!
RSVP for The Sewing Party and take a peek at exciting classes you won't find anywhere else.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.