Drat the Cat! dress - Simplicity 2403
Added Sep 14, 2010
Misses’ dress with bodice, collar and sleeve variations. I made Bodice A with some changes, and the skirt which there is only one option for.
I really love the lines of this skirt. I don’t know if the pleating that is featured in this skirt (and I see all the time in patterns now) has ever been en vogue before, but I gotta say, I love it more than darts!
I decided to make the bodice a v-neck instead of a button front blouse because I knew I wanted to have ruffles and didn’t want all the muss & fuss of adding buttonholes. I lined up the notch on the bodice front and skirt front so I knew how wide to make the bodice front (if I make no sense, don’t worry about it). I just used binding to finish the arm & neck holes.
For the ruffles, I just cut four strips along the width of the fabric, so I had four 45" strips that were 3" wide. I used my rolled hem foot to finish them, sewed two strips together so that I had two strips 90" by 3", then basted and gathered the centers. Then I just pinned them down the center of the bodice & around the neckline. I had visualized the idea in my head and had also seen it a couple of places so I knew exactly what I wanted.
I used an invisible zipper and did a lot of topstitching on the bodice. Because I used a tissue weight linen, the fabric is rather sheer. I wanted to make sure my seam allowances didn’t get too wily while I was wearing the dress, so I figured topstitching them into place was the best remedy for that. After sewing the 5/8" seam, I trimmed them to 1/4" and then topstitched them down.
I love this dress. LOVE IT, love it, love it. I highly recommend it and felt that the instructions were really, really good.
I used a tissue weight linen blend for the top and a lovely cotton for the skirt — it’s a checkerboard made with a deep blue and light brown. It has the most lovely sheen.