Added May 29, 2011
One pattern piece cut on the fold, using up only half of my remnant (approximately 1.1m), a few hours of sewing last Wednesday night and i was wearing my new dress to work the next day. I did sew one side of the invisible zipper back to front (duh) and spent the best part of 40 minutes unpicking the bitch stretch stitch before sewing it in the correct way only to discover the zip gave the dress a Dino spine! Another problem arose while reaching up rrrrrrrrip! On both sides! sigh. Obviously a few adjustments were needed, first i cut out the zipper and sewed up the seam. It pulls on over my head so why it calls for a zip is any ones guess. To fix the ripped armhole i used scraps of the wool jersey to create a binding. I did need to make the armhole bigger due to the rip but it worked out ok.
Pattern: Drape Drape book 1-dress 3
Fabric: 1.2m Wool jersey remnant from Tessuti
Alterations: Needed no zip, armholes needed binding to strengthen, lengthened by and inch and a half.
Notes: Easy. One pattern piece, uses up a small amount of fabric, sews up quickly and fits well. Other than the alterations made to strengthen and omit the unnecessary this dress fit me perfectly as it is.
This is my ‘go to’ little black dress this winter. A great pattern, simple style, comfortable. Love it.
Meg's Magazine Mash Up!
Check out Meg's latest mash up of our Straight Skirt, and how she made it look so yummy!
Member Project of the Week
The latest Elie Saab collection inspired this hand-beaded dress by chanel2005.
Celebrate with lovely dresses, sparkly dolman tees, and an embellished peplum skirt.
This week’s new BurdaStyle Videos release is "Sewing a Thread-Chain Belt Loop." Check it out!
Comment to Win
Tell us what's on your wishlist to win this exciting software package!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.