Added Sep 23, 2013
I wanted to make my own wedding dress and I loved the patterns on burdastyle. But I had a hard time picking one, and decided to combine two different patterns together. It was a crazy mission but in the end I loved my dress and it was totally worth all the work (and only cost $100 worth of fabric)…
I variated some from what the pattern suggested, but only because my shop didn’t carry the specific fabrics. Instead of embroidered white organza I used plain. I used a silk-taffeta type material for the underskirt, that was even more stiff than taffeta and I loved it. I used asatin-georgette type fabric for the lining that was soft and a tiny bit stretchy. The best part was choosing the lace. I had randomly picked up a lace with dolphins and lighthouses on it and decided to try it for the bodice. It was so funny because the dolphins were swimming upside down because that’s the only direction that would work. It made the dress extra unique and made me and everyone love it even more – especially because the wedding was by the ocean. I was also just experimenting with the pattern and used a thick, kind of shiny, cotton fabric for the bodice (like curtain material), instead of satin. I ended up liking it so much I just used it for the end project and it was perfect. I loved that I had incorporated curtain material into my wedding dress too…
Burda Style Videos
Help us count down our TOP 10 most popular videos and get inspired!
Meg got an inside look into our new course, and see why she thinks you need to register too!
Leopard print, stripes, and mod coats for fall.
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this step-by-step tutorial on how to sew these overalls with a modern twist!
This course will guide you through the process of creating an 8-piece Lingerie Collection!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.