Added Sep 23, 2013
I wanted to make my own wedding dress and I loved the patterns on burdastyle. But I had a hard time picking one, and decided to combine two different patterns together. It was a crazy mission but in the end I loved my dress and it was totally worth all the work (and only cost $100 worth of fabric)…
I variated some from what the pattern suggested, but only because my shop didn’t carry the specific fabrics. Instead of embroidered white organza I used plain. I used a silk-taffeta type material for the underskirt, that was even more stiff than taffeta and I loved it. I used asatin-georgette type fabric for the lining that was soft and a tiny bit stretchy. The best part was choosing the lace. I had randomly picked up a lace with dolphins and lighthouses on it and decided to try it for the bodice. It was so funny because the dolphins were swimming upside down because that’s the only direction that would work. It made the dress extra unique and made me and everyone love it even more – especially because the wedding was by the ocean. I was also just experimenting with the pattern and used a thick, kind of shiny, cotton fabric for the bodice (like curtain material), instead of satin. I ended up liking it so much I just used it for the end project and it was perfect. I loved that I had incorporated curtain material into my wedding dress too…
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.