Added Aug 13, 2009
Leeds, United Ki...
Here is a dress I made from some old African cotton clothes which were far too big and had a pretty loud pattern printed on it. As part of a competition I had to try and make something I would wear out of these “dead threads”. The original items had no shape and I wouldn’t wear them anywhere in this country or in Africa really, but the cotton used to make them wasn’t too bad so I didn’t want to throw them away.
I made a pattern based on my measurements. I included a square neckline with gathers at the shoulder, back and sides. Then I added some coloured bias binding for the waist. To use up more of the fabric, and to relate to african headwear I also made a thick head band with are large flower on top.
(see last pic for original item)
Leopard and snakeskin are the new neutrals.
Member Project of the Week
Peneloping's hand beaded frock is a real stunner.
Make these brand new blouses and dresses in candy colored silk.
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this guide all about mini closure solutions!
Take a trip down the aisle in these gorgeous gowns, or change the fabrics for a spring party dress.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.