Added Apr 9, 2011
I made a first version of the gather drape dress 3 from Drape Drape book 1 (by Hisako Sato) [http://www.burdastyle.com/projects/dd-dress-3-in-grey/]. I found that it was gappy at the back neck and wanted the gathers at the waist to be lower.
I reduced the gaping by bringing in the back seam by 1/2" and by 1-1/4" at the top of the neck (curving the seam). I then reduced the neck ring by that amount AND angled it so that it hugs my neck better. I am still able to get my head through.
I also increased the depth of the bodice 2" to make the gathers fall more at my waist.
This is a more flattering version for me, however, I wish I’d used this crappy thrifted fabric first (I didn’t have enough, that’s why it’s rather short in the back).
I really like the gathered sleeves and think that the single seam is pretty cool. I am thinking that I might make a few shirts with this pattern too!
black thrifted synthetic double-knit jersey
Member Project of the Week
Carlotta-Stermaria's ruffled dress is ready for wedding season.
Check out this sneak peel of this Thursday's live web seminar
Chat sewing inspiration with the instructor behind our mood board and fashion design course!
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
The lines of Greek architecture inspire this neutral and pastel collection.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.