Added Oct 18, 2010
This dress is my first real jersey/knit project! I used Butterick 5418, and I’m really, really glad I did a muslin. I started with my normal size, and for some reason, the armpits stuck out two inches on either side from me and the chest was saggy (and revealing!). I went down 2 sizes but kept the strap size, and it turned out perfectly!
I tried to find a fabric without much horizontal stretch (I’m sure there’s a technical term for that I don’t know!) because I saw how much trouble other people had with the weight of the neckline and back pleats pulling down, and 100% polyester jersey. I did a little tacking underneath the pleats for reinforcement.
Altogether, I’m pleased with the project and might even consider trying an altered version in a lightweight cotton or silk.
100% polyester jersey
Meg's Magazine Mash Up!
Check out Meg's variation of our Drawstring Gym Shorts, and see how she made them high-fashion!
Meet this seamstress, mom, jeans lover, and the instructor of our digital pattern drafting course!
Pattern of the Week
This timeless style ties at the back and looks stunning at formal events
The results are in! Check out our winning submission.
Daydream about fall sewing with boho layers, oversized jackets, and a leopard pencil skirt.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.